Place your bets for SC24
NASA is in two minds about the next solar cycle, and so it’s time to place your bets:
You could approach this as a shoot-out between competing hyptheses of solar variation and watch the fun.
Alternatively, you could choose the Modern Science Method:
- Form clique of friends
- Announce new “ground-breaking paper” to the press. Announce “result” in soundbite form.
- Get papers published peer reviewed by friends
- Go to United Nations and declare “the science is settled”
- Denigrate other scientists who disagree with you as “Deniers” and in league with [insert scary corporation here]
- Praise other “independent” scientific papers written by your friends which miraculously support your hypothesis.
- Repeat the above two processes so that you and your friends get lions share of grant money while your opponents are starved of funding and attention.
- Hide data/methodology so as to prevent replication. Make sure only copy of data is on a floppy disk and never, ever backed up like normal people.
- Start weblog.
- When cornered, declare that “science has moved on”
It could go on for years.